Friday 27 July 2012

XPACE RESIDENCY

XPACE RESIDENCY

XPACE Cultural Centre - 58 Ossington Avenue, Toronto

July 27th - August 4th, 2012
Gallery Hours: Tuesday - Saturday   12 - 6pm

Opening Reception July 27th, 2012  7 - 11pm

Artists in Residence: Krystina Plante, Mason Mummery, Lee Aaron Wiesblatt
 

New Body of Work: Missing Links, Krystina Plante

Drawing from personal experience and emotional tension, I look to find narratives within mundane objects or the events of everyday life. My most recent work has centered on the surrounding notions of collecting, the mundane, and the book as an art form. This residency has created an opportunity to divert from these themes and instead explore a topic which has been in suspension for some time. As much of my family has been adopted or displaced, I am left with a very small family core, which then dissipates into a vast area of unknowns, like dead nerve endings. It is this tremendous sense of anonymity and these evidently lost connections which has me longing for answers, resolution, and acceptance. It is vital to my artistic practice to remain emotionally vulnerable, as I feel it is crucial to express humanity through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment