Saturday 6 April 2013

DIY Ceiling Lampshade

So I have a ton of randomly shaped/sized boxes left over from a previous installation, which are made from Eska board and wrapped in rice paper, and since the paper lantern I had been using as a ceiling shade all these years was starting to look pretty shabby, I decided to use one of the boxes to make a new shade!


I started by using one of my Crayola metallic gel Spider Writer pens to repeat a simple swirl pattern on a piece of frosted Mylar which had been traced to shape. Once the design was completely dry I scored and folded the traced edged inwards towards the designed side. I lined up the Mylar with the inner edge of the box and used an archival PVA glue to adhere it. Tiny eyelets screwed into the upper inside will allow me to suspend the box from the light fixture. And then voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment