Sunday 30 October 2011

The Textile Museum of Canada

I recently visited the Textile Museum of Canada for the first time, specifically to visit their current exhibition "Cold Comfort: New and Improved Souvenirs of Canada", and to see their permanent collection of traditional souvenir pillows. I am writing an essay on souvenir pillows, which I had never heard of before, but are extremely fascinating. 


















Beyond the Cold Comfort exhibit...























I want this ultra Canadiana handmade footstool and pillow from the gift store so bad!!

Felt painting (right), which I am dying to try, and etching on linen (left).




















"As the charcoal is black, so are my prospects dark."














On your way out they ask you to leave a note for what you would like from a museum.

Jason wrote "Museum of Chocolate". I wrote "A museum where each visitor leaves an object behind. A museum of our belongings. A museum of us".

The Textile Museum of Canada is located at 55 Centre Ave. (Dundas St. West/University Ave.)
For more information visit http://www.textilemuseum.ca/